Table of Contents
- 1 What is the meaning of Hongdae?
- 2 Where is Hongdae station in Seoul?
- 3 Which exits to choose to reach Hongik University?
- 4 How to reach Hongdae from Myeongdong?
- 5 How to reach Hongdae from Seoul Station?
- 6 How to reach Hongdae from Ewha Woman’s University?
- 7 How to reach Hongdae from Gangnam?
- 8 How many exits are at Hongdae station?
- 9 Here’s a small summary of each Exit line and where it can take you:
- 10 Which are the top local attractions near the Hongdae station?
Hongdae is an area in Seoul, South Korea, popular thanks to its proximity to Hongik University. It is a central point for young adults, being home to urban arts, indie music culture, shops, clubs, and several entertainment opportunities. You can find Hongdae in Mapo-gu, as it stretches from Seogyo-dong to Hapjeong-dong.
If you’re planning to attend the Hongik University, or if you’re already here, you most likely need some extra help understanding public transportation. Next, we share our local insights on Hongik University station. But to help you get started, make sure you check out this post on the Best Apps for Korea Travel. Now, let’s see how you can reach Hongdae station today!
Everything you need to know about Hongdae Station
What is the meaning of Hongdae?
Whenever you hear the name Hongdae among locals, you should know it is an abbreviation of Hongik Daehakgyo. This is translated as Hongik University, and it is a term commonly used to refer to Hongik University, the nation’s leading fine arts college in South Korea.
Where is Hongdae station in Seoul?
Hongik University Station, or simply Hongdae station, is a station part of the Seoul Subway 1, AREX, and Gyeongui-Jungang Line. It is the key arrival point for those attending the Hongik University. It is an underground station with three platforms and four tracks.
Which exits to choose to reach Hongik University?
Usually, students and locals, who are on a budget, use the subway to reach Hongdae. It is the best way to travel since it will help you avoid unnecessary costs and traffic. The simplest and fastest way is to take Subway Line 2 and stop at Hongik University Station. From here, you should use Exit 9 and take a short walk to the nearby streets.
If you exit the subway via Exit 9 of Hongik station, you will see the KFC restaurant on one side and an ABC-MART shop straight ahead. You need to pass the shop and walk towards the IBK Bank. Continue your walk to the CU convenience store and turn left after the McDonald’s. Immediately, you’ll discover the Angel-in-us coffee place. Keep walking Hongik Street. At the end of it, you’ll discover the main entrance of Hongik University.
How to reach Hongdae from Myeongdong?
You can reach Hongdae station with ease from Myeongdong. All you have to do is use Line 2 Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station towards the City Hall because the main Myeongdong shopping streets are located between Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station (Line 2) and Myeongdong Station (Line 4). It will take about 12 minutes after 6 stops by subway. When the subway reaches the Hongik University station, use exit 9 to go to the main Hongdae Shopping Street. If you are going to the Yeonnam-dong area for tons of restaurants and small unique cafes, use exit 3.
How to reach Hongdae from Seoul Station?
You can reach Hongdae station via Line AREX at Seoul Station, the Incheon International Airport Terminal 2 direction. When the subway reached the Hongik University station, use exit 9. It will take about 7 minutes after 2 stops by the subway.
How to reach Hongdae from Ewha Woman’s University?
If you’re attending the Ewha Woman’s University, you should take Line 2 towards Sinchon. Get out of the subway at Hongdae station and use exit 9. It will take about 5 minutes after 2 stops by the subway.
How to reach Hongdae from Gangnam?
If you want to reach Hongdae from Gangnam, you should take the subway line 2 from Gangnam station. Get out of the subway at Hongdae station and use either exit 9 or 4. It will take about 34 minutes.
How many exits are at Hongdae station?
Many tourists and students say it is difficult at first to understand the Hongdae station. And this happens because this is the station where three different subway lines meet. So, you’ll discover that the Hongik University station has a total of nine exits. And that many people prefer the ease of access offered by exit 9.
Here’s a small summary of each Exit line and where it can take you:
- Exit 1 is equipped with escalators, and it will take you to the opposite area of the Hongdae shopping district.
- Exit 2 equipped with escalators, and it will take you to the opposite area of the Hongdae shopping district.
- Exit 3 is for the Airport railway, and it will take you to the beginning of Yeonnamdong.
- Exit 4 is also for the Airport railway, but it will take you to Hongdae Shopping District’s starting point, across from Yeonnamdong and several stores. It is also the exit where the famous Coffee Prince Korean drama was filmed.
- Exit 5 is the one that has only stairs and ends at the edge of the shopping district.
- Exit 6 is for the Gyeongui Central Line and takes you towards the road to Seogang University and the Hongdae Playground Park.
- Exit 7 is also for the Airport railway and takes you to the beginning of the Hongdae shopping district.
- Exit 8 also has only stairs at it takes you to the central meeting point in the shopping district.
- Exit 9 is one of the preferred exits for those attending the Hongik University, as it offers access to the fastest route towards the campus.
Which are the top local attractions near the Hongdae station?
The entire Hongdae area is rather busy. Numerous coffee places, shops, and meeting points stand out as some of the best. You can easily see roaming around students from the Hongik University. But tourists love exploring this area, too. According to locals, there are three main activities to do in Hongdae:
- Explore the Trick Eye Museum
- Shop at the Free Market
- Have fun at Hongik University Shopping street
Our advice is to pay close attention to street art. In this area, you can easily discover colorful wall paintings straight on the street. Besides this, everything in this area is affordable and ranked as the best shopping area in Seoul. For more things to do in Hongdae check out this post.
The bottom line
This is what you need to know about the Hongdae station. It can seem intimidating at first, but we can say that you can manage to learn it in no time with a bit of attention to detail. Make sure you pay close attention to the exists you want to use.
You may also like: