Last Updated on November 24, 2023
Gangwon-do is one of the most popular travel destinations among Koreans because of the wide-spreading East Sea and magnificent mountain ranges. Also, you can get to Gangneung by train in two hours, and enjoy a completely different natural scenery from Seoul. Korea has four seasons, so you can enjoy a variety of activities such as spring flower festivals including cherry blossoms, summer water sports, autumn mountain climbing and trekking, and winter skiing. On this Gangneung & Donghae 2D1N Tour sponsored by K Story Tour & Trazy, I visited east coastal cities and not only enjoyed the beautiful beaches, but also tried various activities such as rouge, sky cycling, slide, and coater! It was so much fun😆 Let’s start the Gangwon-do trip!
Best Places to Visit in Gangneung & Donghae
- Jumunjin Hyangho Beach – BTS music video filming location 향호해변
- Jumunjin Yeongjin Beach – Featured in "The Guardian" 영진해변
- Haslla Art World 하슬라아트월드
- Sky Valley & Haerang Observatory 스카이밸리&해랑전망대
- Mureung Byeolyujeonji 무릉 별유천지
- Mangsang Beach 망상해변
- Cheongok Golden Bat Cave 천곡황금박쥐동굴
- Gangneung Jungang Market 강릉중앙시장
- Bohemian Roasters Cafe 보헤미안 로스터스 카페
Jumunjin Hyangho Beach – BTS music video filming location 향호해변
There are numerous beaches on the east coast of Korea, but Hyangho Beach is probably the most popular among them. As a shooting place for the BTS album, You Never Walk Alone, it became the must-visit place in Korea for ARMYs from all around the world.
The sea and sky seen in the background of the bus stop will make for a perfect photo! In addition, It has a white sandy beach over 700m long and is famous for various festivals and summer vacation spots. Let’s take pictures at the photo zones located here and there!
- Address: 8-55, Hyangho-ri, Jumunjin-eup, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 강릉시 주문진읍 향호리 8-55
- How to get there: It takes around 30 minutes by car from Gangneung KTX station where you can rent a car. Even you can find it with “BTS 버스정류장” on the navigation application. 😉
Jumunjin Yeongjin Beach – Featured in “The Guardian” 영진해변
You can get to Jumunjin Yeongjin Beach in 10 minutes by car from Hyangho Beach. Many people visit here because it is featured in the Korean drama “The Guardian”. Especially, it’s famous as a popular dating course for couples.
Just like the main characters in the drama, take a shot at the end of the breakwater with the wide wonderful horizon in the background. It’s currently airing on Netflix, so if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it!
- Address: 1609, Haean-ro, Jumunjin-eup, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 강릉시 주문진읍 해안로 1609
- How to get there: It takes around 10 minutes from “BTS Bus Stop” and 20 minutes by car from Gangneung KTX station. You can type “도깨비 촬영지” on the navigation application. 😉
Haslla Art World 하슬라아트월드
Haslla Art World is one of the most memorable places on this Gangneung & Donghae travel. Facing the East Sea, they have a stunning ocean view from anywhere in the museum, also there are many interesting art pieces in the indoor modern art gallery. Installation artworks, the kinetic art exhibition hall, and Pinocchio Museum are spaces that can be loved by everyone like couples, friends, and family.
In addition, the Outdoor Park with the most beautiful view of the sea is built on the coastal cliff, where you can enjoy sculptures and land arts. If you need a break, why not have a cup of coffee while relishing the breathtaking ocean at the Sea Cafe :)?
I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for somewhere to travel on weekends!
- Address: 1441, Yulgok-ro, Gangdong-myeon, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 강릉시 강동면 율곡로 1441
- Admission: Age 20+ Adult 15,000KRW | Age 14-19 Teens 13,000KRW | Age 2-13 Child 11,000KRW
- Hours: 9:00 – 18:00
- Tel.: 033-644-9411
- Website: museumhaslla.com
- Social media: @hassla_art
Sky Valley & Haerang Observatory 스카이밸리&해랑전망대
Here in the Sky Valley and Haerang Observatory, you can enjoy both the sea and the sky. Plus, they offer a variety of activities such as the giant slide and sky cycle. The Skywalk is a trail at an altitude of 59m above sea level with the awesome view!
If you like roller coasters, I recommend the Giant Slide and Sky Cycle. The short but exhilarating slide is going down about 27m for 8 seconds, and the Sky Cycle, which runs along the cable wires in the sky, made me feel as if I’m flying in the sky.🤣 The view of the sea and the observatory from the sky cycle was fantastic!👍🏻
- Address: 2-109, Mukhojin-dong, Donghae-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 동해시 묵호진동 2-109
- Admission: Age 20+ Adult 2,000KRW | Age 8-19 Teens 1,600KRW
- Hours: Monday Closed | Apr. – Oct. 10:00 – 18:00 | Nov. – Mar. 10:00 – 17:00
- Tel.: 033-534-6955
Mureung Byeolyujeonji 무릉 별유천지
I loved this place, Mureung Byeolyucheonji because they have many attractions and activities such as sky glider, off-road luge, alpine coaster, and roller coaster type zip line. As it is huge, you can take the free-shuttle and get on and off at the A, B, and C stops to enjoy each place from lake, rock wall, observatory, and lavender garden.
I rode the off-road luge and alpine coaster for the first time, and each takes an average of 15 minutes with a total distance of 1.5 km. It was so much fun, and what I liked the most is the natural scenery enjoyed while riding.😆 Definitley worth to try!
The former limestone quarry has been recreated as a cultural space. There is a gallery and an observatory cafe on the top which has a special dessert called, cement ice cream. It was lovely and delicious with marshmallows and a shovel-shaped spoon.😋
- Address: 97, Igi-ro, Donghae-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 동해시 이기로 97 무릉별유천지 제2주차장
- Admission: Age 20+ Adult 4,000KRW | Age 8-19 Teens 2,000KRW | Age 36months – 7 Child 1,000KRW
- Parking fee: Small size 2,000KRW | Large size (16-seater Van+) 5,000KRW
- Activity fee: Sky Glider 30,000KRW | Off-road Luge 15,000KRW | Alpine Coaster 20,000KRW | Rollercoaster Zip line 20,000KRW
- Hours: 10:00 – 17:30
- Tel.: 033-531-2233
Mangsang Beach 망상해변
While I stay at Dongyang Hot Spring Convention Hotel, I went to Mangsang Beach that is right in front of this accomodation. Even you can see the beach from the hotel room! Since it was early in the morning, there were no people, so I was able to spend a peaceful time with a cup of coffee at a cafe located on the seaside.
If you are looking for a place to have dinner, try to visit one of the seafood restaurants or Korean fried chicken and beer located on the beach.
- Address: 393-35, Mangsang-dong, Donghae-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 동해시 망상동 393-35
Cheongok Golden Bat Cave 천곡황금박쥐동굴
Interestingly, this natural cave is located in the middle of the city. Cheongok Golden Bats Cave was first discovered in 1991 and opened to the public in 1996. The cave’s longest length is 1510m and it was created 400-500 million years ago. Amazing! huh?🤩
The road inside the cave is very narrow and some parts are very low, so you must wear a helmet for safety! It took about an hour in total. If you like to see mysterious natural scenery, this is a recommended place!
- Address: 50, Donggul-ro, Donghae-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 동해시 동굴로 50
- Admission: Age 20+ Adult 4,000KRW | Age 8-19 Teens 3,000KRW | Age 36months – 7 Child 2,000KRW
- Parking fee: Small size 1,000KRW | Large size (16-seater Van+) 2,000KRW
- Hours: 9:00 – 18:00
- Tel.: 033-539-3630
Gangneung Jungang Market 강릉중앙시장
This traditional Korean market is a paradise for foodies. You can taste a variety of menus, from street foods to fried chicken, and Squid Sundae, which is famous in Gangneung, is also worth trying.
As it is by the sea, the fried shrimp and squid here were very fresh and large enough to fill my stomach. What’s more, I found the local beer by Beodeunamu Brewery in Gangneung at the shops in the market. It was perfectly paired with fried seafoods! 😉
- Address: 21, Geumseong-ro, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 강릉시 금성로 21
Bohemian Roasters Cafe 보헤미안 로스터스 카페
Gangneung is famous for its coffee as well. Even Bohemian Roasters is not located on Gangneung Cafe Street, but it is popular as a cafe opened by Korea’s first licensed barista. If you are a coffee lover, I recommend that you try drip coffee here!
- Address: 1107, Haean-ro, Sacheon-myeon, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea | 강원 강릉시 사천면 해안로 1107
Gangneung & Donghae Tour from Seoul
[K Story Tour] Gangneung & Donghae Filming Location 1 Day/ 2D1N Tour (by KTX+Bus) - from Seoul
If you are looking for a trip to a city with a different charm from Seoul, you can visit Trazy which is an English-friendly tour booking website, and find various travel destinations. This small group tour with an informative and respectful guide was perfect to enjoy both beautiful nature and fun activities. Gangneung only takes 2 hours from Seoul, so it can be done in 1 day, or with the 2D1N tour, you will be able to get more fun, including Korean hot springs.
Jumunjin Hyangho Beach (BTS Bus Stop) – Jumunjin Yeongjin Beach (Featured in Korean Drama “The Guardian”) – Gangneung Jungang Market (free lunchtime) – A Cafe Bohemian Roasters – Haslla Art World – Jeongdongjin Station
Day 1: Jumunjin Hyangho Beach (BTS Bus Stop) – Jumunjin Yeongjin Beach (Featured in Korean Drama “The Guardian”) – Gangneung Jungang Market (free lunchtime) – A Cafe Bohemian Roasters – Haslla Art World – Jeongdongjin Station – Stay at Donghae Boyang Hot Spring Convention Hotel
Day 2: Free time at the hot spring spa hotel – Haerang Observatory & Sky Valley – Traditional Seafood Market – Mureung Byeolyujeonji – Cheongok Golden Bat Cave
IVK’s Top Picks – Day Tours, Tickets, and Travel Activities